Spring Rolls are popular Asian cuisine made from wrappers filled with personal choice of veggies or meat. They are my favourite choice of appetizers in any continental restaurant. Famous across the globe, they are known by different names based on their fusion with the global cuisines.
In India, with the introduction of Chinese cuisine, spring rolls have become popular with kids and adults alike. Wrappers are made from wheat flour, all-purpose flour or rice flour which are loaded with a combination of noodles, cabbage, onion, broccoli, capsicum, paneer or chicken. You can also find the wrappers in the frozen section of your nearest supermarket but I prefer to make it from scratch which is easy to make, healthy and delicious. Let’s start cooking!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour;
- 2 teaspoon corn starch;
- 3 cups of water;
- salt to taste.
- 5 cups cabbage shredded;
- 1 cup onion;
- 1 cup carrot;
- 1 cup capsicum;
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped;
- 3 teaspoon soya sauce;
- 5 teaspoon tomato sauce;
- Black pepper(crushed) and salt to taste.
- Take all the dry ingredients (flour, corn starch and salt) in a bowl and whisk everything together.
- Add water to the mixture little by little and whisk them. Ensure that no lumps are formed and whisk until you have consistency in the image. Keep the mixture aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat non-stick pan over medium flame. Grease the surface with few drops of oil.
- With the help of a ladle, gently pour the mixture onto the pan and spread it slowly. I prefer to remove the pan from the heat, spread the mixture, thin and evenly, and place it back over the heat. It allows time to do it slowly before the mixture starts sticking to the pan surface.
- Once the wrapper starts curling up from the sides, turn them and cook the other side for a few minutes.
- Prepare the wrappers, place them in stacks and let them cool. You can store them in the refrigerator for future use as well. Keep a little bit of batter aside to use for wrapping the spring rolls.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage, onion, capsicum and carrots to the pan and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper to the pan and mix it well. The fillings will give out quite a lot of water. Saute for 10 minutes over a high flame.
- Add the sauces and toss them with the ingredients well to get your delicious spring roll fillings.
Putting it all together:
- Take the wrapper one at a time, add a spoon full of mixture and wrap them up neatly in below fashion.
- Add a little bit of batter to seal the ends.
- Heat pan with enough oil to deep fry the spring rolls.
- Add the spring rolls slowly and 2/3 at a time depending on the pan size and fry them until golden brown.
You are ready to serve delicious homemade vegetable spring rolls with some hot sauce and mayonnaise over snacks or appetizers. You can add a combination of noodles, paneer or chicken to the fillings and own the recipe in your way.
Please share your feedback in comments or on our social media pages. We are eager to hear your variations and fusion of this popular dish.