Oil is secreted by the sebaceous glands in our skin. The oil is termed as sebum. Sebum lubricates the skin to protect against friction. It also makes the skin more impervious to moisture. However too much secretion of sebum cause problems. It makes the skin look dirty. It also makes room for bacteria that trigger inflammation and infection. This results in severe acne. Youngsters mainly teenagers are affected by acne due to hormonal changes in their body. The hormonal changes force the sebaceous gland to secrete more sebum. This, in turn, clogs the pores and results in bacterial growth causing acne. Here are some tips below to combat with your oily skin and get the fresh and rejuvenating look you want.
1. Increase your water intake: Drinking water eliminates the toxins from your body. This is essential for getting a healthy and glowing skin. If your body is hydrated and is free from toxic substances it will reflect on your skin. Try to consume at least 8-10 glasses of water.
2. Consume healthy foods: Whatever you put inside your body, it reflects on your skin. Try to improve your gut health by consuming healthy foods. Foods that are rich in Vitamins help cure acne. Your diet must be comprised of fruits like apple, orange, papaya, amla, etc. Green leafy vegetables are also essential for healthy skin. Proteins like egg, fish, meat if consumed in nominal amounts improve the skin and hair. Some essential fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6 are important.
3. Avoid junk foods or aerated drinks: Nowadays mostly our youth generation is too fond of junk foods or aerated drinks. They try to substitute their main food with junk food items. This is really problematic as it will not only affect the skin but the overall body to a greater extent. Too much sugary foods or sugary drinks can even weaken your immune system. They also affect your gut health. Cold drinks, sodas, pizzas, fried chips, etc. should be strictly avoided for getting good skin.
4. Avoid using too many cosmetic products: Cosmetic products that are loaded with too many chemicals that can harm your skin. Due to marketing or advertising strategies you might be engrossed in using various cosmetic products. However, they will, in turn, damage your skin immensely. Just wash your face with normal water every now and then to clean all the dirt from your skin. You may use ice cubes if you have too much acne on your skin. Rub the ice cube gently all over your face and even on the acne-affected areas. The ice cube will reduce the swelling. Then take one spoon of honey and one spoon of lemon juice in a small cup, mix it well. Apply the mixture gently on your face using cotton wool. Keep it on your face for about 15-20 mins and then wash off with normal water. Honey is good for removing bacteria from your skin. Lemon juice acts as an antioxidant that may help reduce skin damage and premature ageing. Lemon can also decrease oil on the skin and reduce inflammation.
5. Limit your exposure in the sun: Exposure in the sun is necessary for our overall body. However, we should keep in mind that too much exposure in the sun can damage our skin. Try to use sunscreen lotions which suit your skin type, if you want to stay out for longer hours.
6. Moisturize your skin: People who have oily skin think that they don’t require moisturizers. This fact is not at all true. Using moisturizers will stimulate the brain to secrete less sebum. Try to use aloe vera gel-based moisturizers. Use them at least twice a day daily. Applying moisturizers before going to bed will be ideal for those who have oily skin.
7. Exercise regularly: Exercises will help you eliminate the toxic substances from your body. While doing exercises the pores on our skin open and thus eliminate the wastes from our body in the form of sweat. One thing you need to keep in mind is that don’t allow the sweat to cool down on your skin. Try to take a shower immediately after doing any exercises. The sweat settled on the skin can form different kinds of rashes. So try to devote at least 1 hour daily for your exercises. Exercises may include walking, running, yoga, or any other forms of freehand workouts. You may not necessarily go to a gym.
8. Apply facial masks: You can make a mixture of Multani soil and rose water and then apply on your face. Keep this mask for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with water. Apply the mask twice in a week. This will control the sebum secretion in your skin. This will also clear the impurities from your skin.